Planning for Registration

Online. It’s Where We Register.

You will register for your fall classes in July. Although your lower division adviser will not be assigned to you yet, there are many resources available to help you plan!

Over the summer (May–August), you can contact academic counselors in the Office of Academic Advising with questions. They can be reached at or 336.758.3320.

If you have previous college coursework… bring it!


Phone: 336.758.5207
Fax: 336.758.6056

P.O. Box 7207, Winston-Salem, NC 27109

Reynolda Hall 110

You'll Need To Register For Classes Online illustration

These are some resources to help you along the way. Please visit to receive step-by-step instructions.

  • Forestry 101 Academics & Registration Sections (pp. 89-93) and the corresponding website
  • Advising resources, including Pre-Professional advising resources, on the Office of Academic Advising website:
  • The Undergraduate Bulletin can be found at
  • Course Completion Checklist. A list of all courses that count for basic and divisional credit in a particular academic year are found at
  • Academic counselors in the Office of Academic Advising, available by telephone at 336.758.3320 and email ( during business hours
  • Timely email messages from the Office of Academic Advising and the Office of the University Registrar with information about choosing courses and registration

Steps to Complete Prior to Registration

1. Complete the Directed Self-Placement (DSP).

Due June 9 The DSP helps you make an informed decision about which writing-intensive course (WRI 105, WRI 111, WRI 210 or FYS 100) to take first. To complete the DSP, you will read an article and write a response. You should give yourself roughly a week to complete this response in order to simulate the expectations of college-level work. You will then answer questions that help you to reflect on this writing experience and your past experiences as a reader and writer. Use the instructions we provide to help guide your choice of a writing-intensive course based on your answers to the reflective questions.

The DSP coordinator and professor of your first writing-intensive class will receive your response and your answers to the reflective questions. Although you will not receive direct feedback on your essay, the DSP coordinator will email you feedback about your placement choice prior to the first round of registration.

For instructions, more information and course descriptions for all writing-intensive course options, please see

2. Report Incoming AP or IB scores

If you think your academic past can be part of your Wake Forest future, we want to hear all about it. AP/IB credit is reviewed and awarded by the Office of the University Registrar. Some of these credits will allow you to skip lower-level coursework or serve as a prerequisite for higher-level courses. AP/IB credit cannot be used to satisfy divisional requirements; however, credits earned through AP/IB will count toward the 120 hours necessary to graduate. Instructions for submitting scores are on the next page.

Students often forget to send scores from previous years; check with the College Board to make sure all your scores are sent to WFU. Once your scores are received and processed, you can see them listed in your academic transcript in your WIN account.

3. Complete Writing Course Survey. Due June 23.

Complete the Writing Course Survey that will be sent to you on June 16 and is due on June 23. This brief survey will help us determine which first-year writing course is the best fit for you. The staff of the Office of Academic Advising will use this information to register you for your first-year writing course. It is possible that if you bring in AP credit for WRI 111 that you might not be registered for a first-year writing course, but rather be advised to take your FYS 100 course during the Spring 2018 semester. When you register for your fall courses, you will be allowed to register for up to 12 total hours, including the 3 or 4 assigned to your first-year writing course.

4. Complete Foreign Language Placement (FLP) Test due July 13, before beginning

Round I of registration

You must complete an FLP test if you studied any of the following languages: Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian or Spanish. The tests can be found on WIN > Virtual Campus > FLP. Each test will take between 1 and 1.5 hours to complete.

You should take the FLP test for any language(s) studied in high school, even if you intend to start the study of a new language (in case you change your mind in the future!).

If you know you scored 3 or higher on an AP language exam or 6 or higher on an IB foreign language higher-level test, you do not need to take the FLP test because your foreign language placement will be based on your AP/IB score (see Step 2 for instructions on how to report your official AP/IB scores).

If it is after July 13 and your AP/IB scores have not been applied to your academic record or you do not know the results of your AP/IB scores, complete the FLP test. Your placement will be adjusted if a late-arriving AP/IB score indicates a different placement.

If English is your second language, do not take the FLP test in your native language. You might be exempt from the foreign language requirement. Contact Dr. Thomas Phillips about processing a foreign language requirement exemption.

For further instructions, information on exemptions and other frequently asked questions, please see

When registering for your foreign language:

If starting a new language, start at the level 101 or 111.

If continuing with a language you previously studied, enroll in the class in which you are placed through the FLP test or AP/IB score. If you believe your FLP score is inaccurate, register as we have instructed, but discuss your concerns with your foreign language professor once you arrive on campus.

5. Complete Course Preference Survey (CPS) due July 28.

Click here for a PDF version of the CPS

You should begin the CPS before Round I of registration. It will help you start thinking about course selection for the fall semester, as well as more broadly about your academic plans and goals.

Once you have finalized your Round I registration, put the final touches on your CPS, considering the classes you selected. Review your answers carefully, as you will not be able to make changes to the CPS once submitted. The CPS helps professional advisers in the OAA take your interests, concerns and academic plans into consideration when completing your course schedule. In addition, the CPS will help your Lower Division Adviser get to know you and advise you more effectively.


Advising for Pre-Professional Interests

Interested in the School of Business?

Admission to the School of Business undergraduate program is by formal application in January of the sophomore year, and applicants are screened by the School’s Committee on Admissions, Continuation, and Scholarships. The number of students that can be accommodated is limited, and meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admission. The School of Business, therefore, reserves the right to grant or deny admission or readmission to any student even though he or she meets the minimum requirements. For more details about admission requirements, please see the 2017–18 Bulletin at

Interested in a Career in Health?

Careers in the health professions (e.g., medicine, dentistry, veterinary, physician’s assistant, physical therapy, nursing) do not require a particular major, but they do require planning in order to complete requirements and take advantage of additional learning opportunities, such as study abroad. Most pre-health students will take one to two science classes in the first semester. For important information about course recommendations based on your AP/IB experience and projected major, see the following website:

Interested in Law School?

There are no specific requirements for students interested in attending law school. You are encouraged to take courses that develop your skills and interests, challenge you to think critically and creatively, and prepare you to read, write and communicate well. For more information, see the following website:

Advanced Placement Scores

Wake Forest needs to receive your AP scores directly from the College Board. Contact the College Board as early as possible, but no later than June 10, to request that your scores be sent to the Office of the University Registrar (college code 5885). If you request your scores by this date, they should be received at Wake Forest University in time for registration in July. You must complete this process to ensure that the University Registrar receives your official scores, even if you submitted AP scores with your admissions application or prior to your enrollment. Please note that score processing may take up to two weeks once Wake Forest receives the scores from the College Board. Scores of 4 or 5 will generally result in students being granted AP credit, but there are exceptions. For information on credit awarded, course equivalency and exemption information for specific tests and scores, see:

International Baccalaureate Scores

Official IB transcripts must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. Contact your IB program coordinator or submit a request through the IB website as soon as possible. For more information regarding transcript submission, credit awarded, course equivalency and exemption information, please refer to:

Checking Credits Awarded

To determine if your AP/IB credits have been applied to your academic record, go to WIN > Virtual Campus > Academic Transcript after July 13.

If you believe you will have AP/IB credit for a course and it is not recorded on your transcript by Round I of registration, do not register for the course in question. Most students do not want to take a class at Wake Forest for which they will obtain AP/IB credit. Qualifying scores received later will still gain you course credit.