Planning for Registration

It’s All About Class.

You will register for your fall classes online in July. Although your personal lower-division adviser will not be assigned to you yet, there are many resources available to help you plan, including academic counselors in the Office of Academic Advising. You will register for your spring semester courses in November.

Your registration can be accomplished using any device with internet access. Your access to registration begins at the assigned times on July 12 and July 14 and ends July 16 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT), so you can register for classes at any time that is most convenient for you once your registration time opens. If you will be unavailable the entire week of registration, please contact the Office of Academic Advising prior to July 10.

Begin checking your WFU Email regularly! Important emails will arrive with information regarding surveys, registration, and orientation events.


Phone: 336.758.3320
Fax: 336.758.4548

P.O. Box 7225, Winston-Salem, NC 27109

Reynolda Hall 125


You'll Need To Register For Classes Online illustration

These are some resources to help you along the way. Please visit to receive step-by-step instructions.

  • Forestry 101 Academics & Registration Sections (pp. 91-128) and the corresponding part of
  • Advising resources, including pre-professional advising resources, on the Office of Academic Advising website:
  • All incoming students will have the opportunity to schedule individual advising sessions in June via phone or in person. Visit for more details.
  • The Undergraduate Bulletin can be found at
  • Course Completion Checklist. A list of all courses that count for basic and divisional credit in a particular academic year are found at
  • Academic counselors in the Office of Academic Advising, available by telephone at 336.758.3320 and email ( during business hours.
  • Timely email messages from the Office of Academic Advising and the Office of the University Registrar with information about choosing courses and registration.

Steps to Complete Prior to Registration

1. Complete the Directed Self-Placement (DSP). Due June 7 (available May 31)

The Directed Self-Placement (DSP) helps you make an informed decision about which writing-intensive course (WRI 105, WRI 111, WRI 210 or WRI 212) you should take, or whether you should take FYS during your first semester. The DSP simulates a typical college writing assignment, in that you will have one week to read an article and write a response to a specific task related to that article. You will then answer questions designed to help you reflect on this writing experience as well as your previous reading and writing experiences. Based on your responses to these questions and instructions provided, you will indicate your preferred writing-intensive course.

The DSP faculty coordinator will receive your writing and the answers to the reflective questions. Although you will not receive direct feedback on your writing, the DSP faculty coordinator will email you feedback to guide your course selection prior to registration. In most cases, the DSP faculty coordinator will affirm your choice. Occasionally, we may recommend another course, but ultimately the choice is yours.

The professor of your first writing course will also receive your DSP materials. That professor will not grade your DSP essay, but they may use it in writing assignments and reflections on writing development in your writing course.

For instructions, more information, and course descriptions for all writing-intensive course options, see

2. Report Incoming Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate scores.

If you think your academic past can be part of your Wake Forest future, we want to hear all about it.

AP/IB credit is reviewed and awarded by the Office of the University Registrar. Some of these credits will serve as a prerequisite for higher-level courses. AP/IB credit cannot be used to satisfy divisional requirements. However, credits earned through AP/IB will count toward the 120 hours necessary to graduate. Instructions for submitting scores are below.

Students often forget to send scores from previous years; log in to your College Board profile to make sure all your scores are sent to Wake Forest. For tests taken in 2021: If you indicated that Wake Forest should receive your scores when you took the test(s), no action is needed. If you did not indicate Wake Forest as a college to receive your scores when you took the 2021 test(s), you will need to log in to your College Board profile when you receive an email (in early July) with your 2021 test scores.

3. Complete Foreign Language Placement (FLP) Test. Available online May 17, due July 9, prior to registration

You must complete the FLP test if you have studied any of the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Russian or Spanish. The tests can be found on the Office of Academic Advising (OAA) website at Each test will take between 1 and 1.5 hours to complete. You should take the FLP test for any language(s) studied in high school, even if you intend to start the study of a new language (in case you change your mind in the future).

If you know you scored 3 or higher on an AP language exam or 6 or higher on an IB foreign language higher-level test, you do not need to take the FLP test because your foreign language placement will be based on your AP/ IB score. (See Step 2 for instructions on how to report your official AP/IB scores.)

If it is after July 6 and your AP/IB scores have not been applied to your academic record or you do not know the results of your AP/IB scores, complete the FLP test. Your placement will be adjusted if a late-arriving AP/IB score indicates a different placement.

If English is your second language, do not take the FLP test in your native language. You might be exempt from the foreign language requirement. Contact the Office of the Dean of the College about processing a foreign language requirement exemption. For further instructions, information on exemptions and other frequently asked questions, please see

When registering for your foreign language:

If starting a new language, start at the level 101 or 111.

If continuing with a language you previously studied, enroll in the class in which you are placed through the FLP test or AP/IB score. If you believe your placement score is inaccurate, register as directed by your score, but discuss your concerns with your foreign language professor once you arrive on campus. Students will not receive credit for a class at a lower level than the level of their placement without following the procedure outlined in the Undergraduate Bulletin under “Foreign Language Placements”.

4. Complete Course Preference Survey (CPS). Due July 16 (available July 9).

You should begin the CPS before you register. It will help you start thinking about course selection for the fall semester as well as more broadly about your academic plans and goals.

Once you have finalized your fall registration, put the final touches on your CPS considering the classes you selected. Review your answers carefully since you will not be able to make changes to the CPS once submitted. The CPS helps academic counselors in the OAA take your interests, concerns and academic plans into consideration when reviewing your course schedule. In addition, the CPS will help your lower-division adviser get to know you and advise you more effectively.

Advising for Pre-Professional Interests

Interested in a career in health?

Careers in the health professions (e.g., medicine, dentistry, veterinary, physician’s assistant, physical therapy, nursing) do not require a particular major, but they do require planning in order to complete requirements and take advantage of additional learning opportunities such as study abroad. Most prehealth students will take one or two science classes in the first semester. For important information about course recommendations based on your AP/IB experience and projected major, see

Interested in law school?

There are no specific requirements for students interested in attending law school. You are encouraged to take courses that develop your skills and interests, challenge you to think critically and creatively, and prepare you to read, write and communicate well. For more information, see

Interested in the School of Business?

Admission to the School of Business undergraduate program is by formal application in January of the sophomore year, and applicants are screened by the School’s Committee on Admissions, Continuation and Scholarships. The number of students that can be accommodated is limited, and meeting the minimum requirements is not a guarantee of admission. The School of Business, therefore, reserves the right to grant or deny admission or readmission to any student even though he or she meets the minimum requirements. For more details about admission requirements, see the 2021–2022 Undergraduate Bulletin:

Interested in investment banking, asset management, sales & trading, and private equity?

The Pre-Wall Street Career Track will provide early and focused professional preparation for qualified Wake Forest students intending to pursue careers in investment banking, asset management, sales & trading, and private equity on a global basis. Please visit for more information.

Advanced Placement Scores

Wake Forest needs to receive your AP scores directly from the College Board. Log in to your College Board profile no later than June 20 to request that your scores be sent to the Office of the University Registrar (college code 5885). If you request your scores by this date, they should be received at Wake Forest University in time for registration in July. You must complete this process to ensure that the University Registrar receives your official scores, even if you submitted AP scores with your admissions application or prior to your enrollment. Please note that score processing may take up to two weeks once Wake Forest receives the scores from the College Board. Scores of 4 or 5 will generally result in AP credit, but there are exceptions. For information on credit awarded, course equivalency and exemptions for specific tests and scores, see

International Baccalaureate Scores

Official IB transcripts must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. Contact your IB program coordinator or submit a request through the IB website as soon as possible. For more information regarding transcript submission, credit awarded, course equivalency and exemptions, please refer to

Checking Credits Awarded

To determine if your AP/IB credits have been applied to your academic record, go to WIN > Virtual Campus > Academic Transcript.

If you believe you will have AP/IB credit for a course but it is not recorded on your transcript by the time of registration, do not register for the course in question. Most students do not want to take a class at Wake Forest for which they will obtain AP/IB credit. Qualifying scores received later will still gain you course credit.