Your Deacon Housing

Dorm. Residence Hall. The Threshold of Freedom …

Welcome Home Badge

We’re not big on labels. What we care about most is creating an unparalleled residential housing experience where students can thrive socially and intellectually alongside their classmates within a safe and responsible environment. In the following pages, you’ll find key information on how roommates are assigned, answers to frequently asked questions, who’s who and programs available within Residence Life.

This is where the memories are made. Welcome to your new home.


Phone: 336.758.5185
Fax: 336.758.4686

P.O. Box 7749
Winston-Salem, NC 27109

Angelou Residence Hall 001


Roommate Assignments

You will be notified of your room and roommate assignment in late July. Assignments are made without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation or national origin. We do not assign siblings or friends as roommates. We wait until we receive the Housing and Dining Application from a majority of students in order to match students based on responses. Although we try to honor all preferences, this is not always possible. When you get your roommate assignment, please reach out to your roommate so you can start getting to know one another. When you arrive on campus, you and your roommate will complete an agreement that will help define some expectations for how you will use the room.

Room Types

As a new student, you will be assigned to a single, double or triple room, based on your response to the Housing and Dining Application. If you are assigned to a single room, information about other students assigned to singles in your hall will be sent to you. Single rooms are charged at the single rate. All students are eligible to request a room change in September if space becomes available.

Room Amenities

Each residence hall room includes an extralong twin bed (36″ by 80″), a dresser, and a desk and chair set. Each room is also equipped with window blinds and a closet or wardrobe unit. You may bring your own floor rug or purchase it upon your arrival to campus. Each room also has a MicroFridge® appliance (combination microwave/refrigerator-freezer unit), so there is no need to buy or rent a refrigerator. The microwave has a capacity of 0.6 cubic feet and a turntable for even heating. No other kitchen appliances may be used or stored in residence hall rooms.

Deacon OneCard

The Deacon OneCard is your official student ID. You will receive your card when you arrive on campus for Orientation, and you should carry it with you at all times. You must submit a photograph for your Deacon OneCard by June 30. The Deacon OneCard serves as your access card to enter University buildings, your card for checking items out of the library and your “ticket” to many campus events. The Deacon OneCard is also a payment card for three different purposes: Deacon Dollars, Food Dollars and the meal plan.

Who’s Who?

Resident Advisers (RAs)

Students responsible for actively assisting individuals and groups of students in their residential community. RAs plan initiatives for both individual and building-wide residential communities. Look for a welcome email from your RA in August!

Graduate Hall Director (GHD)

Graduate student who is responsible for the general supervision and management of a residence hall community, which houses 200–350 undergraduate students.

Residence Life Coordinator (RLC)

A full-time, live-in professional who supervises RAs and GHDs; helps students with residential concerns.

Faculty Fellows

A group of faculty members assigned to your residence hall who will plan fun, community building events and be available for informal interaction and advising.

Meet the Faculty FellowsThe Faculty Fellows Program was created to build community and increase faculty student engagement, especially outside of the classroom, providing fun and intellectually engaging discussions and activities within and beyond our residence halls. To learn more visit,

Meet the Faculty Fellows

Angelou Hall – Barbara Lentz, Associate Professor, School of Law

Babcock Hall – Erica Still, Associate Professor, English

Bostwick Hall – John Llewellyn, Associate Professor, Communication

Collins Hall – Melissa Jenkins, Associate Professor, English

Johnson Hall – Ananda Mitra, Professor, Communication

Luter Hall – Mark Scholl, Associate Professor, Counseling

South Hall – Ron Von Burg, Assistant Professor, Communication

Hall Councils

Hall Councils offer leadership experience for students. Council members provide programming to their residential community. The executive board for each Hall Council acts as liaison between its hallmates and the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

Housing for Special Needs

Any medical or physical considerations that require special accommodations should be provided in writing from your doctor to the Student Health Service. All inquiries will be reviewed by the appropriate University official. Please review the process at:

Substance-Free Living Community

The Substance-Free Living Community is for residents who desire — and agree to maintain — a substance-free environment. This community will be on hallways, sections or floors of various first-year buildings as demand warrants. In addition to the standard housing agreement, residents and their guests must abide by a Substance-Free Housing Agreement whereby they agree to these standards, including not using in or coming into the residential environment under the influence of tobacco, alcohol or drugs.

Residency Requirement and Guarantee

Wake Forest has a three-year residency requirement and is one of the few universities in the country that guarantees housing for eight semesters (for students in good standing). Students are required to live in campus housing their first three years, unless they live with a parent or guardian in the Winston-Salem area.

Property Insurance

Office of Residence Life and Housing can or will assume responsibility for theft, loss or damage to your personal property. Most thefts occur when residents leave their room doors unlocked and/or their property unattended. Keeping your room locked at all times is your best defense against theft. The University does not cover property loss for damage due to unforeseeable facility incidents that may occur.

Before coming to campus, you should determine what it would cost to replace belongings such as electronics: cell phone, television, camera and laptop computer. Check your family’s property insurance policies — many policies will cover loss or theft, even if the policy is in your parents’ name(s) and you are living on campus. If not, we suggest you purchase some type of renter’s insurance.