Registration FAQs

You have questions? We have answers.

  • How are my registration dates and times determined?

    The assignment of registration time is randomized across your class.

  • What do I do if I am traveling or have a conflict when my registration period starts?

    Your registration can be accomplished using any device with internet access. Your access to registration begins at the assigned time and ends July 31 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, so you can register for classes at any time that is most convenient for you once your registration time opens. If you will be unavailable the entire week of registration, please contact the Office of Academic Advising prior to July 10.

  • How do I begin to decide what courses to register for during my registration week?

    There are many resources available to help you think about course selection. What you decide to prioritize for registration will depend largely on your academic interests. The Course Preference Survey will help you reflect upon those interests and will also guide you through making decisions about courses to fulfill basic, divisional or pre-professional requirements.

    A typical first-semester schedule will include a writing-intensive course, as guided by your DSP (unless you received AP/IB credit for WRI 111, in which case you may wait to take an FYS in the spring). *If you do not register for either FYS 100 or Writing 111, your schedule will be altered to include a writing-intensive course.

    Many students choose to begin working on their foreign language requirement along with other divisional requirements, while others choose to delve right into areas of academic interest or electives.

  • How many credit hours should I have each semester?

    Your credit hours each semester will be somewhere between 12 and 17 hours; 12 hours is the minimum required to be considered a full-time student. Exceeding 17 hours requires special permission, and is rarely approved for your first semester; 15 credit hours is the average course load per semester to graduate in four years. We typically recommend having 12 to 15 hours for your first semester at Wake Forest. A strong first semester is always better than an overly ambitious plan.

  • What s should I register for if I am interested in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or an allied health fifield, such as physician’s assistant, nursing, pharmacy, etc.?

    Consult the pre-health profession’s website:

  • What should I register for if I am interested in pre-business?

    If there is availability, you may register for ECN 150 or MST 111 (MST 112 for Mathematical Business), but these do not need to be completed until the fall of your sophomore year. *If you register for both ECN 150 and MST 111, your schedule will be adjusted by dropping one of the two courses.

  • What should I register for if I am interested in law school ?

    There are no specific requirements. You are encouraged to take courses that challenge you to think critically and creatively, and prepare you to read, write and communicate well. For more information, see

  • Can I wait-list a class?

    No, not for your first fall semester. It is important that you are registered in classes instead of being wait-listed for classes where seats may never become available. In future registration periods, wait-listing will be available to you.

  • What is the relevance of the Directed Self-Placement for my first writing course?

    The Directed Self-Placement and your recommendation from the DSP faculty coordinator help guide your decision-making about your first writing course. The writing task you complete is commonly used in your writing courses (but not evaluated) in assignments and reflections on your writing development. Visit

  • Why am I getting a prerequisite error when I try to register for a foreign language course?

    The results of your Foreign Language Placement test will determine your placement for your first foreign language course. You must register for the course level indicated on your placement test or determined by your AP/IB score. If you are receiving AP/IB credit for a foreign language and still see this error, the Office of the University Registrar has not received your official AP/IB score. Please see p. 110 for more information on AP/IB score submission.

  • I know I will be receiving AP/IB or prior college credit, but this credit is not yet in the WFU system. Therefore, I am having difficulty registering for a higher-level class. What should I do?

    Please contact the Office of the University Registrar at or 336.758.5207.

  • What should I register for if I am interested in engineering?

    Consult the engineering department website:


  • What do I do if classes that I need or want are closed?

    We understand that it can be frustrating not to get your first-choice classes, but please do The All-You-Can-Learn Buffet of Knowledge 139 not get discouraged. It is not uncommon for first-year students to find that some classes are already full. Some closed classes might open up during the add/drop period, and if not, most classes will be offered again in the future. As a new student, you will have many classes to take, and many options, therefore, we encourage you to explore:

  • Will changes be made to my schedule?

    It is possible that some small changes may be made to the class schedule you made for yourself. Our advisers work hard to make sure that you have a balanced schedule that fits your needs. If we find that you have made an ill-advised choice in your schedule, we will usually call you to discuss the change we recommend. An example of this may be that you have indicated an interest in the pre-health track, but that you did not register for CHM 111 and CHM 111L. It is important that you begin chemistry during your first semester to stay on track with the pre-health curriculum.

    Similarly, there are requirements for the pre-business and pre-engineering programs requiring you to begin with certain courses.

    You may also find that you have been registered for an additional class if you registered yourself for MST 111. MST 105L is a 1-hour pass/fail class that focuses on reviewing 220 topics from algebra and trigonometry that are essential to student success in calculus. This course is offered to all students enrolled in MST 111 during the first half of the semester. MST 105L has both an attendance requirement and a proficiency requirement. Students are required to attend two hours of class each week and work on their algebra/trig review in the ALEKS program. Most students who have registered for MST 111 will be registered for MST 105L.