You will take your foreign language placement test in WIN. To complete the test, you will need the following:
- A computer with a high-speed Internet connection (such as DSL or cable modem service) and a Web browser. The listening sections on the Spanish and French exams may not work properly with certain browsers. If you have trouble, try switching browsers. Internet Explorer has been fairly dependable for most students.
- Speakers or headphones (French or Spanish exam only)
- MAC USERS: Students using Macintosh computers have often experienced difficulties if they take the test in French or Spanish (these tests include a listening section). If you are taking one of these two tests, try to get access to a PC, unless you scored 3 or higher on your AP or a 6 or higher on your IB higher-level exam. In that case, see below for information about course placement for AP/IB students.
- An uninterrupted block of time. Approximately one hour and a half for French or Spanish and one hour for any of the other languages (Chinese, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin or Russian). Completion times will vary by individual.
- Information concerning foreign language requirements is available in The Undergraduate Bulletin. Your academic adviser can also assist you in understanding your placement score and the foreign language requirement during Orientation.