Residence Life and Housing
Alumni Hall, Suite 104

For more information visit:
Facebook: /wfurlh
Twitter: @wfurlh

Information on this site is for the class of 2020. Information for the class of 2021 will be available May 2017.

Residence hall, dormitory, the threshold of freedom — we’re not big on labels. What we care about most is creating an unparalleled residential housing experience where students can thrive socially and intellectually alongside their classmates within a safe and responsible environment.

In the following pages, you’ll find key information on how roommates are assigned, answers to frequently asked questions, who’s who and programs available within residence life.

This is where the memories are made. Welcome to your new home.

Residency Requirement and Guarantee

Wake Forest has a three-year residency requirement and is one of the few universities in the country that guarantees housing for eight semesters (for students in good standing). Students are required to live in campus housing their first three years, unless they live with their parent or guardian in the Winston-Salem area.

Room Types 

As a new student, you will be assigned to either a single, double or triple room, based on your response to the Housing and Dining Application. If you are assigned to a single room, information about other students assigned to singles in your hall will be sent to you. Single rooms are charged at the single rate. All students are eligible to request a room change in September if space becomes available.  Watch a video on how to complete the Housing and Dining Application.

Room Amenities

Each residence hall room includes an extra-long twin bed (36″ by 80″), a dresser, and a desk and
chair set. Each room is also equipped with window blinds and a closet or wardrobe unit. You may
bring your own floor rug or purchase it upon your arrival to campus.

Each room also has a MicroFridge® appliance (combination microwave/refrigerator-freezer unit)
so there is no need to buy or rent a refrigerator. The microwave has a capacity of .6 cubic feet and a
turntable for even heating. See the Guide To Community Living for appliances that are allowed in residence hall rooms.

Roommate Assignments

You will be notified of your room and roommate assignment in early August. Assignments are made without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation or national origin. We do not assign siblings or friends as roommates. We wait until we receive the Housing and Dining Application from a majority of students in order to match students based on responses. Although we try to honor all preferences, this is not always possible. When you get your roommate assignment, please reach out to your roommate so you can start getting to know one another. When you arrive on campus, you and your roommate will complete an agreement that will help define some expectations for how you will use the room.

What to Bring

For ideas about what to bring to campus and what to leave at home, please visit our website. Also, remember to contact your roommate to coordinate outfitting your room … so you don’t end up with two televisions.

Housing for Special Needs

Any medical or physical considerations that require special accommodations should be provided in writing from your doctor to the Student Health Service. All inquiries will be reviewed by the appropriate university official. Please review the process at RLH page for special needs.

Substance Free Living Community 

The Substance Free Living Community is for residents who desire — and agree to maintain — a substance– free environment and promote a healthy student lifestyle. In addition to the Housing Agreement, residents must abide by a Substance Free Living Covenant whereby they agree to these standards, including not using alcohol or other drugs in the residential environment.

Quiet Living Community 

The Quiet Living Community is for residents who desire, and agree to maintain, a quiet living environment.  This will be an option for students who need to get up early or just want a quiet place to live.  As demand warrants, this community will be on hallways, sections, or floors of various first-year buildings in which there are “Quiet Hours” between 8:00 pm and 8:00 am nightly.  Residents will be able to request an extension to 24-hour quiet hours during mid-terms and other times.  In addition to the housing agreement, residents and their guests must abide by a Quiet Living Agreement whereby they agree to these standards.

Property Insurance

Neither Wake Forest University nor the Office of Residence Life and Housing can or will assume responsibility for theft, loss or damage to your personal property. Most thefts occur when residents leave their room door unlocked and/or their property unattended. Keeping your room locked at all times is your best defense against theft. The University does not cover property loss for damage due to unforeseeable facility incidents that may occur.

Before coming to campus, you should determine what it would cost to replace belongings such as your stereo, television, camera and laptop computer (issued by Wake Forest). Check your family’s property insurance policies — many policies will cover loss or theft, even if the policy is in your parents’ name(s) and you are living on campus. If not, we suggest you purchase some type of renter’s insurance. For more information regarding renters insurance, please visit www.nssi.com.